LAN messaging with XMPP protocol (jabber) to chat or to copy and paste links and texts in rdp sessions
Here is how I satisfied my need to have a LAN messaging program, not really to chat with other users on the same LAN, which I could do, but to copy and paste links or texts between a rdp client and a rdp server when copy and paste from/to clipboard does not work in rdp sessions, for instance with some Android rdp clients.
These are the programs I used:
- Openfire 3.9.3 on the "server" (which can be a simple Windows pc): a realtime collaboration server using XMPP/Jabber
- Miranda IM 0.10.23.0: a multi-protocol instant messaging client
- Xabber 0.9.30b: an Android Jabber client
Create a VPN to connect from an Android client to a home Windows XP server
If you want to connect to your home computer using rdp when you are not home and are connected to the internet, you have to open a port on your firewall; changing the standard rdp port on both your server and your firewall increases your security (or decreases your unsecurity); configuring a Virtual Private Network (VPN) increases your security even more, and you can close the rdp port on your firewall: in fact, when you connect your remote client to your vpn, your remote client comes inside your LAN so that you can remote access your server from inside the LAN.
- Configure server to create a VPN
- Configure router firewall for VPN passthrough
- Configure VPN on Windows clients
- Configure VPN on Android devices
Windows Remote Desktop (RDP)
Windows Remote Desktop allows to remotely get a Windows session on a Windows XP/2000/2003 machine on which it is enabled from any machine running the RDP client: the RDP client asks the name of the machine and the user and password and then the client opens a window showing the desktop of the server machine.
- Comparison between UltraVNC, Windows Remote Desktop and Citrix ICA connection
- How to enable Windows Remote Desktop in Windows XP SP2
- How to connect to a Windows Remote Desktop from Windows 98
- How to secure RDP
Size: 8 MB (1.3 MB install), 33 KB codec
Requirement: Windows 95 or later, comctl32.dll
CamStudio is a free screen and audio recording tool and comes with a swf flash converter and a lossless codec.