License: Freeware (registration required); Professional version is shareware and it's included with the freeware version for a trial period, after that the professional version's features are disabled.
Author: CodeLobster Software
Install: yes, but in the setup process there's a check to choose between portable and classic setup.
Size: about 50 MBytes (about 17 MBytes setup)
Requirement: Windows ME or later
These features are:
- Find in files and replace in files: it's not just that these features are quite unpopular in editors, they support regular expressions too!
- Regular expressions: try to delete empty lines with SciTE or Metapad or Notepad++ or any other advanced editor replacing the regular expression
^\nwith blank: well, with CodeLobster it actually works, just like with Code-Genie (last update was 2006) and Textpad (shareware and not portable)
- Edit files on a remote ftp server
- Bookmarks: it's a normal feature for a IDE but if you use CodeLobster as a "normal" editor you could find it a lot useful.
Professional version also include code validators, SQL manager, version control and a series of CMS plugins.
Moreover, on their site there's a forum where support answers promptly.A few drawbacks I found are:
- it's a little bit slow in the startup process, compared with other editors, but hey, it's a IDE
- highlighting depends exclusively on the file extension (while in some other editors you can choose the language by menu)
Note: If you search for a portable version on CodeLobster site, you won't find it: you should download the setup exe, and in the setup process you can choose if you want to install it in a portable way.